Combermere Abbey becomes Combermere Manor, Combermere, Cheshire County, England, United Kingdom
Combermere Abbey was founded in 1133 by Hugh de Malbank and was located between Nantwich and Whitchurch in Cheshire, England near the border with Shropshire. The abbey was dissolved in July 1538 by King Henry VIII.
King Henry VIII gave Combermere Abbey to Sir George Cotton in 1541 as a reward for his service to the King. Sir George pulled down most of the abbey with the exception of the abbott's lodging which had a stone ground floor. Sir George and his family lived in the restored abbey until his death. Richard Cotton, son and heir of Sir George, remodelled the abbey into Combermere Manor in 1563. Combermere Manor remained in the Cotton family for the next 400 years - passing down from son to son.
The manor house was altered and extended by Sir Stapleton Cotton from 1814 to 1820 when he added the cement facings and Gothic ornamentation existing today. In 1919 the family sold the home. It is currently in use as an organice dairy farm and the stable block has been made into holiday cottages.
found on ancestry.com
Sir George - George Cotton was knighted by Henry VIII and was the grantee of Combermere.