[Ancestral Link: Harold William Miller, son of Edward Emerson Miller, son of Anna Hull (Miller), daughter of William Hull, son of Anna Hyde (Hull), daughter of Uriah Hyde, son of Elizabeth Leffingwell (Hyde), daughter of Sarah Abell (Leffingwell), daughter of Joshua Abell, son of Robert Abell, son of Frances Cotton (Abell), daughter of Mary Mainwaring (Cotton), daughter of Arthur Mainwairing, son of Richard Mainwaring, son of John Mainwaring, son of Thomas Mainwaring, son of William Mainwaring, son of Randle Mainwaring.]
[Ancestral Link: Harold William Miller, son of Edward Emerson Miller, son of Anna Hull (Miller), daughter of William Hull, son of Anna Hyde (Hull), daughter of Uriah Hyde, son of Elizabeth Leffingwell (Hyde), daughter of Sarah Abell (Leffingwell), daughter of Joshua Abell, son of Robert Abell, son of Frances Cotton (Abell), daughter of Richard Cotton, son of George Cotton, son of Cicely Mainwaring (Cotton), daughter of Thomas Mainwaring, son of William Mainwaring, son of Randle Mainwaring.]
ALSO FOUND ON STAGGE-PARKER.BLOGSPOT.COM
Randall Mainwaring, of Over Peover, county Chester, heir to his elder brother John (died 1410). He was born no later than 1363, and died 1456-57 [35 Hen. VI]. According to Ormerod.
He petitioned the king for enjoying the dower of Margery his wife, because he had married her without the king’s licence…. This Randle was also a courtier, stiled armiger regis, the king’s servant, et sagittarius de coronâ [royal archer], 21 Rich. II [1397-98]. He had the office of equitator forestæ de Marâ et Mondrum granted unto him for his life, 6 Hen. IV [1404-05] and two parts of the serjeanty of Maxfield Hundred, which were Raufe Davenport’s, till John Davenport came to age; dated 3 Hen. V [1401-02]. And he had also (with others) the custody of the manor of Kerincham in Cheshire, 13 Hen. IV [1411-12]. This Randle Manwaring of Over-Pever [sic], stiled commonly Honkyn Manwaring in the language of those times, died 35 Hen. VI…. [He was] buried at Over-Pever, in the stone chappel on the south side of the church
Randle Mainwaring, son of William Mainwaring and Elizabeth Leycester, was the heir to his brother John, as John had been the heir to their older brother William, who was the heir to their father. Randle married Margery, who was the widow of Richard Buckley of Chedill in Cheshire, and the daughter of Hugh Venables, Baron of Kinderton. Randle and Margery had been married without the king's licence, and petitioned the king to allow them to enjoy her dower in Richard II. Randle died in 1456, Henry VI, and was buried in the stone chapel on the south side of the church which his wife Margery had build. There are two monuments inside she had made for herself and her husband.
Randle was a courtier, styled armiger regis, the king's servant, et sagittarius de coronâ, and he went to Ireland along with his brother John in the King's service on Richard II. He was given the office of equitator forestæ et Mondrum granted to him for his life on Henry IV, and two parts of the serjeanty of Maxfield (Macclesfield) Hundred, which Had belonged to Raufe Davenport, until John Davenport came to age. He had, along with others, the custody of the manor of Derincham in Cheshire, Henry VI.
Childredn of Randle and Margery were:
• John Mainwaring, eldest son
• William Mainwaring, second son, from whom the Manwarings of Ightfield in Shropshire descend.
• Randle (or Ralph) Mainwaring, third son, from whom the Mainwarings of Carincham descend, married to Margaret, daughter of Sir John Savage of Clifton.
• Elizabeth Mainwaring, who married Raufe Egerton of Wyne-hill in Staffordshire
• Cicecly Mainwaring, married Thomas Fowleshurst of Crew in Cheshire
• Joan Mainwaring, married John Davenport, son and heir of Raufe Davenport, of Davenport in Cheshire, in 1411.
• Ellen Mainwaring married Thomas Fitton of Goweworth in cheshire
• Agnes Mainwaring, was to marry William Bromely, but died before they coudl marry
• Margaret Mainwaring, married William, who was to marry her sister. William Bromley was of Badington in chehsire and was the son of Sir John Bromely. Margaret was a widow in 1436, and later married John Nedham of Crannach, "justiciarius de branco, and judge of Cheshire.
Randle also had two illegitamate sons:
• Hugh Mainwaring, whose mother was Emme Farrington. He married Margaret, sister and eventually heir of Ralph Croxton, of Croxton, and from Hugh the Mainwarings of Croxton nigh Middlewich descend.
• Thomas Mainwaring of North-Rode
There was also one other son and three daughters not named by Ormerod. County Families of Lancashire and Cheshire give this unnamed son as Randle.
~George Ormerod's The History of County Palatine and City of Chester, Vol I, p. 480
~County Families of Lancashire and Cheshire, p. 374
|Mainwaring Hall, Over peover, Cheshire, Ebngland|
Randle Mainwaring service to the Crown
Randle - succeeded to the family estates after the death of his brother John, entered the service of King Henry IV, and, as a result of an attachment to the court of the Earl of Chester, was in 1405 granted for life the office of Equitator of the Forest of Mara and Mondrem, which then included much of the Hundred of Nantwich and all of Edisbury. Then, when the Earl succeeded as King Henry V, Randle was granted two parts of the serjeanty of Macclesfield during the minority of John Davenport, whose family held the hereditary serjeanty.
1. Lord of Over Peover. He inherited the title from his brother John, who died without issue in 1410. In turn, John had inherited from their older half brother, William, who died without issue in 1399. Randle was a courtier, styled "armiger regis," the King's servant. He went into Ireland with his brother John in the King's service in 1398 and 1399. He was known as Honkyn Manwaring. He had several illegitimate children. His wife, Margery, had a monument erected in the south chapel of the church at Over Peover in 1456. Randle "is habited in a complete suit of plate armor, with peaked shoes and spurs, the feet resting on a lion, the joints of the arm or inlaid with jewels and foliage. The sword belt is richly ornamented with jewels, and the clasp emblazoned with the arms of Mainwaring. A chain of SS is suspended round his neck: round the helmet is a fillet ornamented with trefoils, in front of which is inscribed I.H.C. NAZAREN, and over it is a wreath richly decorated with rosettes and foliage. The family crest is placed under his head."
2. Sir Randle Mainwaring married Margery, widow of Richard Buckley and daughter of Hugh Venables, Baron of Kinderton. He had issue: John, William, Randle, Elizabeth, Joan, Ellen, Agnes and Margaret. He was not succeeded in Over-Peover by John, his eldest son, but by his son Sir William.
3. Margery survived her husband, Sir Randle, who died in 1456. He was buried at Over-Pever in the stone chapel on the south side of the Church, which chapel Margery, his wife surviving erected, with the two monuments therein, for herself and her husband in 1456.
4. He succeeded to the family estates after the death of his brother John, entered the service of King Henry IV, and, as a result of an attachment to the court of the Earl of Chester, was in 1405 granted for life the office of Equitator of the Forest of Mara and Mondrem, which included much of the Hundred of Nantwich and all of Edisbury. Then, when the Earl succeeded as King Henry V, Randle was granted two parts of the serjeanty of Macclesfield during the minority of John Davenport, whose family held the hereditary serjeanty. In the Church of St. Lawrence, Over Peover, there are two Mainwaring Chapels. In the South Chapel there are alabaster effigies of Randle Mainwaring and his wife, Margery. He died in 1456 and it is possible that the chapel was built either by Randle or by his widow.
5. Randle Mainwaring of Over Peover was a direct descendant of Ranulphus, one of the companions in arms of the Conqueror, who obtained fifteen lordships in that county [Cheshire], including Puero (now Peover), and was the founder of the family of Mainwaring in Cheshire. Randle married Margery, daughter of Hugh Venables, Baron of Kinderton, and widow of Richard Bukley, and left issue, with several daughters, three sons, John, William, and Ralph. Besides his legitimate children, he had a bastard son by Emma Farrington, called Hugh Manwaring, from whom the Manwarings of Croxton, near Middlewich are descended. He also had another bastard son, Thomas Manwaring of North Road, and Randle, another, along with three bastard daughters. This Randle, commonly called Honkyn Manwaring, in the language of those times, died in 1546 [sic], and was by his eldest son, Sir John Manwaring.
Randle Mainwaring of Over-Peover was a direct descendant of Ranulphus, one of the companions in arms of the Conqueror, who obtaned fifteen lordships in that county [Cheshire], including Puero (now Peover), and was the founder of the family of Mainwaring in Cheshire. Randle married Margery, dau. of Hugh Venables, Baron of Kinderton, and widow of Richard Bukley, and left issue, with several daus., three sons, John, William, and Ralph. Besides his legitimate children, he had a bastard son by Emma Farrington, called Hugh Manwaring, from whom the Manwarings of Croxton, near Middlewich; also Thomas Manwaring of North Road, another bastard son; and Randle, a nother; with three bastard daughters. This Randle, commonly called Honkyn Manwaring, in the language of those times, died in 1546 [sic], and was s. by his eldest son, Sir John Manwaring. [Ashworth P. Burke, Family Records, Clearfield Company, Inc., Albany, NY, 1897, p. 412-
Father: William MAINWARING born about 1325 in Over-Peover By Middlewich, Cheshire, England
Mother: Elizabeth LEYCESTER born August 1331 in Nether Tabley, Bucklow, Cheshire, England
Marriage 1 Emma FARRINGTON born about 1370 in Cheshire, England
Married: in Peover, Cheshire, England
Hugh MAINWARING born in Peover, Cheshire, England
Randle MAINWARING born in Peover, Cheshire, England
Thomas MAINWARING born about 1395 in Peover, Cheshire, England
Marriage 2 Margery DE VENABLES born about 1369 in Kinderton cum Hulme, Northwich, Cheshire, England
Married: After 1391 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
John MAINWARING born about 1392 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
Ralph MAINWARING born about 1393 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
Randle MAINWARING born about 1394 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
William MAINWARING born 1396 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
Cecily MAINWARING born about 1400 in Over-Peover, Cheshire, England
|Peover Hall, Over-Peover, Cheshire, Ebngland|
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peover Hall is a country house in the civil parish of Peover Superior, commonly known as Over Peover, Cheshire, England (grid reference SJ772735). It is a Grade II* listed building.
The house was refaced in 1585 and was built for Sir Ralph Mainwaring. There have been alterations and additions to the house in around 1653–56, around 1764, around 1944 and in 1966. It was originally planned as an E- or H- shaped house but this plan was abandoned around 1590. In 1654 a stable block was built. The alterations in the 1760s included a wing at a right-angle to the house, making it a T-shape, and a new stable block and coach house. In 1919 the Mainwaring family sold the house to John Graham Peel and it was sold again to Harry Brooks in 1940. During the Second World War the house was requisitioned and used by General George Patton and his staff. The hall was also used as a prisoner of war camp, and as a resettlement home for allied prisoners of war and for English people repatriated after the partition of India. It was returned to the Brooks family in 1950. The 1760s wing was in poor condition and was demolished in 1964, when other modifications were made, including a new entrance.
Architecture and contents
The house is built in red brick with stone dressings and a tile roof. The early parts of the house are partly two-storeyed with gables and partly three-storeyed with flat roofs. The windows are mullioned and transomed. The house is roughly rectangular in shape with an entrance corridor which runs across its depth. On the left of the corridor is a small sitting room which contains woodwork and furniture from the 16th century. At the centre of the ground floor is the dining room which includes wooden pilasters which were formerly in Horsley Hall, Clwyd, and paintings and furniture from the 18th century. Also on the ground floor is the morning room in which is a set of bookcases from Oteley, a former seat of the Mainwaring family in Shropshire. On the first floor are the drawing room and bedrooms. The drawing room is in the centre of the building and contains early 18th century panelling, 17th and 18th century furniture, and another set of bookcases from Oteley. On the top floor is the long gallery which contains antique furniture and toys. The kitchen in the basement has two large fireplaces and it also contains arms and armour.
Surrounding buildings and gardens
Main article: Peover Hall Stable Block
The stable block is dated 1654 and is listed Grade I. It contains Tuscan style columns at the end of each stall and a decorated panelled ceiling. The coach house is dated 1764. It is built in red brick on a stone plinth, with stone dressings and a slate roof. It is in two storey and has nine bays. On its roof is a cupola with a clock face. The coach house is listed Grade II. Also listed Grade II are ashlar gatepiers and wrought iron gates which came from Alderley Park, and a mounting block dating from the mid 18th century.
The hall has a formal garden and stands in a landscape park. The landscape park was probably landscaped by William Emes after the alterations to the house in 1764. The formal gardens were laid out between 1890 and 1905 for Sir Philip Tatton Mainwaring. They were remodelled by Hubert Worthington during the 1920s and were further developed from the 1960s by the Brooks. The gardens are listed as Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. The gardens are open to the public at advertised times and tours of the house are available.
origins of MAINWARING surname
The Mainwarings (pronounced "Mannering") held the manor at Peover Hall from the time of the Norman Conquest. Ranulphus, believed to be the family's ancestor came to live in Over Peover (pronounced "pee-ver"). The present Hall was built by Sir Randle Mainwaring in 1585 and had a Georgian extension built by Sir Henry Mainwaring, the last male heir of the family. In 1797 the house was purchased by Thomas Wettenhall, who took the name of Mainwaring guaranteeing that the house would continue in the family name until 1919 after which it was owned by several other unrelated families. (Papillon Graphics' Virtual Encyclopaedia of Greater Manchester)
The surname of MAINWARING was a locational name 'the dweller at the manor of Waring'. This family, so long established in County Cheshire claim to have come to England with William the Conqueror in the person of Ranulf de Meinilwarin during the Norman Conquest of 1066. Many of the early names recorded in medieval documents denote noble families but many also indicate migration from the continent during, and in the wake of, the Norman invasion of 1066. There was a constant stream of merchants, workmen and others arriving in England during this time. In 1086 the Record of Great Inquisition of lands of England, their extent, value, ownership and liabilities was made by order of William The Conquerer. It is known as the Domesday Book. Sir Ralph de Mesnilwarin was the justice of Chester in the 12th century, and married a daughter of the Earl of Chester. His descendants, bearing this name, can be traced to the present day.
Randall Manwaring of Peover, Esq
Father: Raufe Manwaringe of Marton born circa 1364?
Mother: Margery Venables born say 1380
Randall Manwaring of Peover, Esq. was ancestor of the Mainwarings of Carringham and of Nantwich.
1 Arms: Argent, 2 bars Gules, in chief a mascle Sable.2 Arms: Arms (same as of Mainwaring of Over Peover): Argent, two bars gules. Also called Randle Mainwaring of Kirmincham.
He was born circa 1400?. He was the son of Raufe Manwaringe of Marton and Margery Venables.
Randall Manwaring of Peover, Esq. married Margaret Savage, daughter of Sir John Savage of Clifton and Elizabeth de Brereton; Her 2nd (widow).
Randall Manwaring of Peover, Esq. died in 1456 Family Margaret Savage
Child Randolph Mainwaring Esq., of Carincham+ born circa 1435
[S1190] Ashworth P. Burke, BFR, pg. 413.
[S1412] Richard St. George and Henry St. George, Visitation Cheshire, 1613, pg. 159.
[S1419] Over Peover, online http://www.thornber.org/
Name AKA Ranulphus Manwaring
Died 1456 Over Peover, Cheshire, England
Person ID I41773
Europe: Royal and Noble Houses (predominantly England and France)
Last Modified 15 June 2011
Family ID F19700 Group Sheet
Margery Venables, born Cal 1369, die. 1459 Married 1393
1. Sir John Mainwaring, born about 1394, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died September 1480
2. Cicely Mainwaring, born about 1396, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died Yes, date unknown
3. Margaret Mainwaring, born about 1398, died Yes, date unknown
4. Randle Mainwaring, born about 1400, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died Yes, date unknown
5. Elizabeth Mainwaring, born about 1402, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died Yes, date unknown
6. Joan Mainwaring, born about 1406, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died Yes, date unknown
7. Ellen Mainwaring, died 25 February 1480-1481
8. William Mainwaring, born about 1410, of, Over Peover, Cheshire, England, died 1499, of, Ightfield, Shropshire, England
9. Agnes Mainwaring, died Yes, date unknown
Last Modified 22 May 2011
Family ID F19702 Group Sheet
Over Peover is sometimes called Peover Superior. Sir Peter Leicester in his Historical Antiquities of 1673, states that the church was a daughter chapel to Rostherne. He believed that it was built in the reign of Edward III (1327-1377) but did not find any monuments earlier than the reign of Henry VI (1422-1461). The tower was built of brick in 1739 and the nave and chancel were rebuilt in brick by William Turner in 1811. The two Mainwaring chapels, built of stone, were preserved. In the South Chapel there are alabaster effigies of Randle Mainwaring and his wife, Margery. He died in 1456 and it is possible that the chapel was built either by Randle or by his widow. Margery was the daughter of Hugh Venables, Baron of Kinderton. The North Chapel was built in 1648 by Ellen the widow of Philip Mainwaring to house his monument. Ellen, who was the daughter of Edward Minshull of Stoke near Nantwich lived until 1656. The incumbents of St. Lawrence have been recorded since 1556.
Van Dyck`s Painting of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford