Saturday, May 23, 2009

James Chancy Snow 1817-1884

[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Gardner Snow, father of James Chancy Snow.]

Notes for James Chaney SNOW
Snow, James Chaney, president of the Utah (or Provo) Stake of Zion from 1853 to 1858, was born Jan. 11, 1817, in the town of Chesterfield, Cheshire [p.795] county, New Hampshire, son of Gardner Snow and Sarah Hasting. He was reared from a child, eighteen months old, to manhood in the State of Vermont. He was baptized into the Church Oct. 19, 1833, was ordained a Teacher June 23, 1834, and ordained a Priest Nov. 23, 1834. In the year 1836 he filled a mission to the New England States, where he baptized many, among whom Elizabeth Cluff and Lucy Smith. April 20, 1837, he received a patriarchal blessing in the Kirtland Temple under the hands of Patriarch Joseph Smith, sen. In 1838 he married Eliza Ann Carter at Kirtland, Ohio, and with his wife he traveled to Missouri in the Kirtland camp; thence went to Illinois and settled in Nauvoo, where he became a member of the Nauvoo Legion. May 17, 1844, he left his home in Illinois to go on a special mission, on which he was instructed also to electioneer for Joseph Smith, who was a candidate for the presidency of the United States. A response to this call required a great sacrifice on Elder Snow's part as his family, consisting of a wife and four children, were in poor circumstances; they had not even flour in the house at the time, but his wife told him to go and do his duty, and God would provide; and so he did. Elder Snow arrived at Maddison, Ind., June 24, 1844, after walking 52 miles. At that place he was joined by Dominicus Carter; and the two Elders started out together without purse or scrip, and God blessed them. On the 27th of June, the very day on which Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred, Elder Snow was preaching at Milroy, Rush county, Ind. After the martyrdom the Elders went forth to comfort the Saints in the freshness of their grief over their martyred Prophets. Bro. Snow, together with other missionaries, was called home shortly after the martyrdom, and he was present at the meeting when the mantle of Joseph fell upon Brigham Young—an event of which he often testified afterwards. Together with his family he left Nauvoo in 1846, to go to the Valleys of the Mountains. They remained at Council Bluffs until 1852, when they started across the plains with Brother Snow as captain of the company. After enduring the hardships and privations of a long and toilsome journey they arrived in Salt Lake City Oct. 9, 1852. Later in the fall Brother Snow and family moved to Provo, Utah county, and in 1853 he was appointed president of the Utah Stake of Zion, which position he held until 1858, when he resigned. In the spring of 1857 he accompanied the First Presidency on a mountain trip through northern Utah and into Oregon. Elder Snow held many responsible civil positions in the community. Thus he served as a member of the Utah legislature in 1856, and was appointed United States deputy marshal in 1853. In 1858 he was elected surveyor of Utah county; and he was re-elected to that position in 1860. In the fall of 1868 he moved to southern Utah, where he remained till 1880, when he located at Pettyville, where he died April 30, 1884, aged 67 years, 3 months and 19 days. His body was taken to Manti for interment. Elder Snow was loved and respected by all who knew him and remained firm and faithful in the Church till the last. He was the father of twenty children.


Latter-day Saint Biographical EncyclopediaVolume 1


Snow, James Chaney

No comments:

Post a Comment