Tuesday, June 14, 2011

SAMUEL HYDE 1637-1677

[Ancestral Link: Harold William Miller, son of Edward Emerson Miller, son of Anna Hull (Miller), daughter of William Hull, son of Anna Hyde (Hull), daughter of Uriah Hull, son of Ezra Hull, son of William Hyde, son of Samuel Hyde.]

Lebanon, New London, Connecticut

EmilySirkin added this on 26 June 2010
Category Type: Headstone
Headstone Details
Cemetery name
Old Cemetery
Name on headstone
Samuel Hide
Birth - 1637 - Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Death - 1677 - Lebanon, New London, Connecticut, USA

Sam Hyde's ancestors
Front of Wellington Arch in Hyde Park Corner, London, England. Some of the Hyde's were in this area.

Trumbull Cemetery

monument, Norwich, Connecticut

Norwich was settled in 1660. Most of these original proprietors of Norwich came from Saybrook, and East Saybrook (now Lyme). The 35 original proprietors of that town were:
Reverend James Fitch, the first minister
Major John Mason, afterwards Lieut. Gov. of Connecticut
Lieut. Thomas Leflingwell
Lieut. Thomas Tracy and
his eldest son John Tracy
Deacon Thomas Adgate
Christopher Huntington and
his brother, Deacon Simon Huntington
Ensign Thomas Waterman
William Hyde and
his son Samuel Hyde, and
his son-in-law John Post
Thomas Post
Lieut. William Backus and
his brother Stephen Backus
Deacon Hugh Calkins (from New London, Connecticut, and
his son John Calkins (from New London, Connecticut) and
his son-in-law Jonathan Royce (from New London, Connecticut)
John Reynolds
Thomas Bliss
Francis Griswold
John Birchard
Robert Wade
Morgan Bowers
John Gager (from New London, Connecticut
Thomas Howard
Dr. John Olmstead
Nehemiah Smith (from New London, Connecticut)
Richard Edgerton
John Elderkin
John Bradford (from Marshfield, Massachusetts)
Thomas Bingham
Robert Allen (from New London, Connecticut)
John Baldwin
John Pease (from New London, Connecticut)
Thomas Smith (from Marshfield, Massachusetts)
found on ancestry.com

SAMUEL HYDE (1640 - 1689)
Samuel Hyde was the the only son of William Hyde of Norwich, Massachusetts. He was born in Hartford, Connecticut and at one time lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was a Deacon. Samuel and his wife, Jane, settled in Norwich in 1660 where their 8 children were born. The eldest daughter was the first white child born in Norwich. He was a farmer and had lands assigned to him at Norwich West Farms, where he died at the age of 40. John Birchard became the guardian of his children, who were all minors at the time. It appears that John married Samuel's widow.
found on ancestry.com

Biographical Glimpses
Samuel Hyde is the fifth great-grandfather of President Francis Grover Cleveland.
found on ancestry.com

Samuel Hyde
"Hyde, Samuel, another of the Thirty-five Proprietors, was the only son of William, also a Proprietor, and was born in Hartford in 1636. He married, 1659 Jane, daughter of Thomas Lee, of East Saybrook, now Lyme, and in the month of August of the year following, had daughter Elizabeth, who was the first female child born in Norwich of English descent. Shortly afterward he removed to West Farms, where, probably, his six remaining children were all born. He settled in the valley east of Meeting House hill and his dwelling was upon the site where O.L. Johnson, one of his descendants, now lives. He died in 1677"
found on ancestry.com

Samuel Hyde according to Hyde Genealogy
The Hyde genealogy book also states that Samuel was born in Hartford and married Jane Lee. It goes on to say "Samuel Hyde and his wife came to Norwich in 1660. Their eldest daughter, Elizabeth, born in August of that year, was the first white child born in Norwich. He was a farmer, and had lands assigned to him in Norwich West Farms, where he died in 1677, at the age of 40 years. And John Birchard became the guardian of his children, who were all minors at that time."
found on ancestry.com

Samuel - is reckoned among the first proprietors of Norwich, as is likewise his father. The descendants of the five sons of Samuel Hyde in 1779 showed upwards of twenty families of Hydes, comprising 150 persons in the town plot and western part of Norwich. "Samuel and Jann (Lee) Hyde are also the ancestors of Grover Cleveland, President of the United States. Their eldest son, John Hyde, who married Experience Abel, had a son James, known as Capt. James Hyde, who married Sarah Marshall. They in turn had a daughter, Abiah Hyde, who married Rev. Aaron Cleveland. Their son, William Cleveland and his wife Margaret Falley, were the grand-parents of Grover Cleveland."
found on ancestry.com

Hyde Norwich Connecticut
William Hyde (aka “Hide”) was among the most revered of the original Norwich proprietors. He was no doubt born in England, probably circa 1595 – 1600. In 1679, he was termed “Old Goodman Hyde” in Norwich records, indicating that he was probably one of the eldest inhabitants of the town. William’s parentage and ancestral home in England have not been discovered, although much speculation exists – both in print and across the internet. To date, however, there has been no documentary evidence presented to show where William Hyde was born nor who his parents may have been. The first records of William Hyde in New England are at Hartford, Connecticut during the latter 1630’s. It is commonly asserted (and certainly possible) that William had immigrated to New England circa 1633 in the company of the Rev. Thomas Hooker, who settled first at Newtown (Cambridge), Massachusetts. In May of 1636, Rev. Hooker led the migration of a large majority of his congregation into the Connecticut, where they founded the city of Hartford the following year. Stephen Post (see below), whose son John later married William’s only daughter Hester, was also among the Newtown contingent that settled Hartford. William Hyde was among the original founders of Hartford, Connecticut in 1636 and also served as selectman there in 1637. He owned lands in Hartford as late as 1639, but it was probably not long after this that he removed to Saybrook, where he resided for about twenty years. In 1660, he took part in the original settlement of Norwich along with his son, Samuel. Both William and Samuel were among the original proprietors at Norwich, their names being inscribed upon the Norwich Founders Monument. William Hyde resided at Norwich the remainder of his life and was one of the most influential and honored residents of the town. He was frequently elected townsmen (selectman) and served the town in many capacities during its formative years. William Hyde was married twice. The identity of his first wife is not known, although it is fairly certain that she was born in England and immigrated to New England with her husband, probably dying at Hartford circa 1636 – 1640. William had only two known children (both by his first wife):

Hester (or Esther), born say 1630, probably in England. She married John Post at Saybrook “in the last of March Anno [16]52”. Hester died at Norwich on November 13, 1703 (VRp I:26). For details on the family of John and Hester (Hyde) Post, please see the Post essay below.

Samuel, born circa 1636, probably in Hartford. Samuel was married at Saybrook in June 1659 to Jane Lee, daughter of Thomas and Phebe (Brown) Lee. Jane was born in Rusper, County Sussex, England and christened at the parish church there on September 12, 1640. She had immigrated to New England as an infant – her father dying on the voyage. Samuel and Jane (Lee) Hyde settled at Norwich in 1660, where they had a family of eight children (VRp I:16):
i. Elizabeth, born August 1660 (married Richard Lord);
ii. Phebe, born January 1663 (married Matthew Griswold);
iii. Samuel, born May 1665 (married Elizabeth Calkins);
iv. John, born December 1667 (married Experience Abell);
v. William, born January 1669 (married Anne Bushnell);
vi. Thomas, born July 1672 (married Mary Backus);
vii. Sarah, born February 1675, died the same year; and
viii. Jabez, born May 1677 (married Elizabeth Bushnell).

Samuel Hyde died at Norwich in July 1677 (VRp I:16), at the age of 40 years. His widow, Jane, was later remarried to John Birchard (1628 – 1702) and removed with him to Lebanon, Connecticut where she died January 21, 1723 (VR I:18). William Hyde married as his second wife on June 4, 1667, Mrs. Joanna (----) Abell, widow of Robert Abell of Rehoboth, Connecticut. The Rehoboth marriage record lists William as “William Hide of New Norwich”. William Hyde died at Norwich, Connecticut on January 6, 1681 (probably 1681/2), as recorded in the Vital Records of Norwich (VRp I:26). He left a will which was proved at New London in June 1682, at which time distribution of his estate was ordered to the heirs of his son, Samuel, and to his daughter, Hester, wife of John Post. William Hyde was presumably buried at the Ancient Norwich Cemetery (aka “Post and Gager Cemetery”), the earliest known burying ground in Norwich and final resting place for most of the original Norwich proprietors.

References: - Walworth, Reuben Hyde; Hyde Genealogy; Albany; New York: J. Munsell; 1864.- Caulkins, Frances Manwaring; History of Norwich, Connecticut: from its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866; Hartford, Connecticut: Press of Case, Lockwood and Brainard; 1878; pp. 186-189.
found on ancestry.com

The Norwich Founders Monument
The Norwich Founder’s Monument was erected on the site of the Ancient Norwich Burying Ground – also known as the “Post and Gager” Cemetery. Although none of the original gravestones remain, it is probable that most of the early Norwich settlers – Richard Edgerton included – were buried at this location. The Ancient Norwich Burial Ground was the first cemetery in the town of Norwich. The first death in the new settlement was that of Mary Post, wife of Thomas Post, in the year 1661. Thomas Post was one of the original proprietors, and his home-lot lay adjacent to Richard Edgerton on Town Street. Mary Post was buried on a plot of land at the rear corner of the Post home-lot. The Norwich proprietors later voted to purchase the surrounding area as a burial place. A memorandum on the Norwich town records notes that: “The Towne hath purchased a burying place of Thomas Post – in the home lot of said Post – towards the rear of his lot.” The Founder’s monument lists the names of thirty-eight of the first settlers of Norwich, including all thirty five of the original proprietors. Namely:
Side 1: Major John Mason, Rev. James Fitch, John Pease, John Tracy, John Baldwin, Jonathan Royce, John Post, Thomas Bingham, Thomas Waterman, Robert Allen.
Side 2: Ensign Wm Backus, Francis Griswold, Nehemiah Smith, Thomas Howard, John Calkins, Hugh Calkins, Richard Egerton, Thomas Post, John Gager.
Side 3: Thomas Leffingwell, Richard Wallis, Thomas Adgate, John Olmstead, Stephen Backus, Thomas Bliss, John Reynolds, Josiah Reed, Christopher Huntington.
Side 4: Thomas Tracy, Samuel Hyde, William Hyde, Morgan Bowers, Robert Wade, John Birchard, Simon Huntington, Stephen Gifford, John Bradford.

The original township of Norwich has changed considerably since its original layout in 1659. The Old Burying Ground on Town Street is now situated on a hilltop adjacent to the Connecticut Turnpike, although isolated and out of view. The burying ground fell into disuse long ago, but was kept in the ownership of the Norwich proprietors and is now maintained as a public park by the Town of Norwich. The Ancient Burying Ground is now relatively wooded, as can be seen by the accompanying photographs taken in July 2001 by Mr. Brian G. Edgerton. The cemetery is enclosed by a stone fence with a metal gate at the entrance. A large stone bench built on the site bears the following inscription: “Near this spot lie buried the first settlers of Norwich. This stone dedicated to their memory August 11, 1940, by the Society of the Founders of Norwich, Connecticut and the John Mason Monument Association”.
found on ancestry.com

Samuel Hyde Bio
Samuel, born in Hartford in 1637 - died 1677 had lands assigned to him in 1660 in Norwich West Farms, an area which was set off from Norwich and organized as the Town of Franklin in 1789. The house which Samuel Hyde built in 1660 still stands, about 80 rods south-east of Franklin Church, a few hundred feet to the left of the main road to Norwich.

He married Jane Lee (dates of birth and death unknown) in 1659.
They had eight children, of whom:
Thomas, (born1672 at Norwich, died1755) was the fourth child and fourth son. He married Mary Backus, (1672-1752) in December, 1697, and settled as a farmer in Norwich West Farms, (renamed Franklin, Connecticut, in 1789). [A house built about 1690 by a member of the Backus family still stands in the village of Yantic, in the northwest part of the Town of Norwich. Heavy framing, feather-edge sheathing, and a sub-cellar, features of the eastern end, indicate this early date. The western end dates from before 1800, and has some exceptionally ornate panelling. "Connecticut Guide", p.538.]

They had eight children, of whom the eldest was:
Thomas, 2nd. (born 1699, died 1782 -both at Norwich (West Farms). He married Elizabeth Huntington, of Norwich, second daughter of Captain James Huntington and Priscilla Miller his wife, November 9, 1732. She was born 1716; died 1759; both at Norwich. [Concerning the Huntington family of Norwich see Ency. Brit. 11th edition, Vol. 19, p.819, note, under Norwich, Connecticut. This family furnished a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and numerous soldiers, members of Congress, judges, lawyers, a governor of the state, etc.]

They had eight children, of whom the eldest was:
Thomas 3rd (born 1735 at Norwich (West Farms), died 1819, at Franklin (formerly called Norwich West Farms).
Walworth says that this Thomas "was frequently a member of the legislature from Franklin." He is called "Captain" by Walworth, who gives no reason for the title. However, the following items from the Connecticut records give the facts now known:

1. "Connecticut Military Record, 1775-1848" p.555: ("Captain (Nehemiah) Waterman's Co.") The record gives the "Payroll of his Company of men detached from the 20th Reg't. of Militia in the State of Connecticut to serve a three months' term in a Reg't. to be commanded by Col. Nathan Gallup in General Tyler's Brigade to cooperate with Count D'Estaing, November 9, 1779." This service lasted only to November 29. Among the men listed in this payroll are "Captain Nehemiah Waterman, Lieut. Phinehas Peck, Ensign Thomas Hyde."  The 20th Regiment was composed of companies from the Town of Norwich, and as this Thomas Hyde (No. 368) of Norwich was the only Norwich resident of that name, of military age at that time, we may assume that he was the Ensign above-named.

2. The following letter give further facts: (It should be said that "Thomas L. Hyde", mentioned in the letter, appears in another branch of the Hyde family in Walworth's "Genealogy" Vol. I, p. 112; No.VI, 1272, but he is certainly not the Thomas Hyde referred to in the records cited here.):
May 13, 1941
Mr. Arthur O. Norton, 85 Crest Road Wellesley, Massachusetts
This is in reply to your letter of May 8th relative to your ancestor Thomas Hyde.
We have been able to locate only one reference in addition to that in Captain Waterman's Company which you yourself mention. This we find on Page 399 of the Records of the State of Connecticut, Vol. III. Here it is stated that at its meeting of May, 1781, the General Assembly appointed Thomas Hyde Captain of the 3rd Company of alarm list in the 20th Regiment of the State. One would assume that this was the same Thomas Hyde who served in that regiment in 1779 as Ensign The 20th Regiment was organized in 1774 and was composed of companies from the town of Norwich. We cannot tell whether Thomas has earlier service as an enlisted man (though there is a reference to a Private Thomas L. Hyde serving in Capt. Andrew Waterman's Company in Lt. Col. Obediah Hosford's Regiment of Militia in 1776, no place of residence being given--Col. Hosford was from Hebron); however, apparently the title "Captain" was a genuine one for service in the State Militia.

This is all the information that our records indicate regarding Thomas Hyde, probably of Norwich.
For the Adjutant General: (signed) Frederick E. Phelon, Captain, AGD, CSG, Administrative Ass't.

3. The Town Clerk's Assistant of Franklin, Connecticut which was until 1789, part of Norwich known as Norwich West Farms, adds the following:
Franklin, Connecticut
May 16, 1941.
Arthur O. Norton, 85 Crest Road, Wellesley, Massachusetts
In reply to your recent inquiry, I have found the following information.
1, and 2. I believe there are people who may be descended from this Hyde family living in this vicinity, and a Miss Blanche Smith of this Town claims direct descent from Ensign Thomas Hyde. In our Plains Cemetery his tombstone is marked "In memory of Capt. Thomas Hyde who died Oct. 4th, 1819, in his 85th year."
3. Our earliest map (1663-1725) shows dwelling sites of the first two Thomas Hydes. Land index shows Capt. Thomas Hyde bought farm with house and barn in 1788. Search might show whether he occupied same, and where same is located according to our present understanding.
4. Our maps are not large, but fairly clear.
(signed) C. F. Davis, Assistant to Benjamin P. Davis, Town Clerk and Registrar, Franklin, Connecticut
Source: Knudsen Family Document
found on ancestry.com

Norwich Deed
6 June 1659, Norwich, Connecticut
Norwich, New London County, Connecticut Deed "Know all men that Onkos, Owaneco, Attawanhood, Sachems of Mohegan have Bargained, sold, and passed over, and doe by these presents sell and pass over unto the towne and Inhabitants of Norwich nine miles square of land lying and being at Mohegan and the parts thereunto adjoyneing, with all ponds, rivers. woods, quarries, mines, with all royalties, privileges, and appurtenaces thereunto belonging, to them the said inhabitants of Norwich, theire heirs and successors forever--from thence the line run nor north east nine miles, and on the East side the afores'd river to the southward the line is to joyne with New London bounds as it is now laid out and soe to run east two miles from the foresd river, nor norwest nine miles to meet with the western line. "In consideration whereof the sd Onkos, Owanexo and Attawanhood doe acknowledge to have received of the parties aforesd the full and juste sum of seventy pounds and doe promise and engage ourselves, heirs and successors, to warrant the sd bargain and sale to the aforesd parties, their heirs and successors, and them to defend from all claimes and molestations from any whatsoever. "In witness whereof we have hereunto set out to our hands this 6th of June, Anno 1659. "Unkos "Owaneco "Attawanhood "Witness hereunto, John Mason, Thomas Tracy "
Source: USGenweb, Connecticut, New London
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment