Tuesday, June 28, 2011

GEORGE ABELL 1561-1630

[Ancestral Link: Harold William Miller, son of Edward Emerson Miller, son of Anna Hull (Miller), daughter of William Hull, son of Anna Hyde (Hull), daughter of Uriah Hyde, son of Elizabeth Leffingwell (Hyde), daughter of Sarah Abell (Leffingwell), daughter of Joshua Abell, son of Robert Abell, son of George Abell.]

GeorgeGeorge Abell, son of Robert was born in 1561 in Derby. He was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford and admitted to the Inner Temple in 1581. He was Executor to his father's Will in 1588. He married Frances Cotton, daughter of Richard Cotton, of Combermere and Mary Mainwaring. It is through Frances that this family connects to royalty through the Mainwaring line.
found on ancestry.com

Additional Will InfoAnother item in his will read, “I bequeath unto my second sonne Robert Abell onelie a Twentie shillings peece for his childs parte in regard of ye charges I have beene at in placeing him in a good trade in London wch hee hath made noe use of and since in furnishing him for newe England where I hope he now is.”Thompson has built a substantial case for the identification of George Abell’s wife Frances Cotton, discussing the known relationships and concluding, “the only possible brotherly relationship between George Abell and George and Andrew Cotton of Combermere must arise from the marriage of their sister Frances to George Abell from Hemington. Moreover, Frances (Cotton) Abell must have been the mother of the children, for otherwise her brothers would have had no particular enthusiasm for the protection of their financial interests.”
found on ancestry.com


Will of George AbellThis is the will of George Abell of Hemington, Leicestershire, England. The source: Boston Transcript, November 17, 1926.The authority for the statement that Robert Abell of Rehoboth, Massachusetts--name given in first list of Freeman of Massachusetts May 18, 1631--was a son of George Abell of Hemington Leicestershire, Eng., is found in the will of George Abell proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury February 7, 1631. This will was found by John Matthews, genealogist of London. It has been seen by a visiting
American, who was interested, and the copy made by Mr. Matthews found to be authentic. The will is dated September 8, 1630. A copy reads:
I, George Abell, of Hemington, in the county of Leicester, gentieman, being sicke in bodye, but of good and perfect memory etc.--And for that portion of worldly estate and goods I doe devise and bequeath the same in manner and form following:
Item. I bequeath unto my third sonne--Richard Abell Tenn pounds of good and lawful English money to be disposed for his benefit until the time of his apprenticeship shall have ended, and expired, and my will is that my brother, Andrew Cotton, of Cumbermere in the countie of Chester--gentleman, shall have the disposint of it for his aforesaid benefit for the time above named.
Item. I bequeath unto my 2nd sonne, Robert Abell, onelie a 20 shilling piece, for his childs parte in regard of the charges I have been at in placinge him in a good trade in London wch hee hath made noe use of and since in furnishing him for New England--where I hope he now is.
Item. I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Abell all the monie or coyne that nowe is at my decease out of this transitorie life shall be in her owne possession and custodie, with all the mault rock lyeth in the chamber on the left hand of the stairs, as we go to the mault room. And my will is that shee shall have halfe the sheeps wch are or shall be betwixt her and me at my decease.
Item. All the rest of my goods, chattels and debts with all other my worldlie estate whatsoever I give and bequeath to the use of my wife Frances and George Abell mine eldest sonne. And my will is that my above named brother Andrew Cotton, with the advice of my brother George Cotton Esquire of Cumbermere aforesaid have the disposing of the same for the taking of something either for life, lives or for years for them what shall seem best in both their judgments. And my will is further that my said wife shall have halfe the profits thereof during her natural life, and my aforesaid sonne George Abell to have the reversion and remainder to him and his whatsoever. And I do hereby constitute and appoint my aforesaid brother Andrew Cotton, my sole executor of this my last will and testament, hopine that he will faithfully perform the same according to the trust I have reposed in him, and for his paines to be taken therein I shall give him the best saddle horse wch I have or shall have at my decease. And I doe make overseers hereof of my loving brother George Cotton, before named, and my approved good friend Sir Richard Harper of Little Over, in the countie of Derbie Knight.
I have hereunto sett my seal and subscribed my name.
George Abell.
found on ancestry.com

George AbellGeorge Abell was born about 1561 in Stapenhill, England and was buried on 13 September 1630 in Lockington, Leicester, England. He is the son of Robert Abell. George married Frances Cotton. Frances was born in 1573. She was the daughter of Richard Cotton and Mary Mainwaring. She died before 16 April 1646.Frances - There appears to be confusion over the mother of Frances Cotton. Some think that Jane Seyliard is her mother. The following presents the evidence that Mary Mainwaring is the correct mother: The solution to the problem was presented by Thompson in his "The Genealogist" article. It is basically an argument by elimination. I am a little fuzzy on the details (its been years), but if I recall correctly, the children of the first wife were named in the will of her father, and the children of the third wife were named in her own will. Frances is named in neither of these, and thus is presumed to be daughter of the second wife, Mary Mainwaring. It is solid work.
George - lived in Hemington in the Parish of Lockington in the County of Leicester, England. He was matriculated at the age of seventeen on December 8, 1578 at Brasenose College, Oxford. In 1581, he was admitted to the Inner Temple. George was an attorney. He tried to get his son Robert a good job in London by having him become an apprentice there, but Robert chose to leave England and move to Massachusetts. George was not in favor of this move, as he noted in his will. In 1588, he was the executor of his father’s will. He was also mentioned in his Uncle George’s will of 1596. In his own will dated September 8, 1630, proved on February 7, 1631, in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, he named his wife’s brothers, Andrew Cotton, "gent," and George Cotton, "Esq.," both residing at Combermere, as executors of his will.
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment