Tuesday, June 14, 2011

THOMAS HAMMOND 1545-1589

[Ancestral Link: Harold William Miller, son of Edward Emerson Miller, son of Anna Hull (Miller), daughter of William Hull, son of William E. Hull, son of Sarah Wilcox (Hull), daughter of Stephen Wilcox, son of Hannah Kelsey (Wilcox), son of John Kelsey, son of William Kelsey, son of Elizabeth Hammond (Kelsey), daughter of Thomas Hammond.]

[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Sarah Sawyer Hastings (Snow), daughter of Jonathan Hastings, son of Josiah Hastings, son of Thomas Hastings, son of Abigail Hammond (Hastings), daughter of John Hammond, son of William Hammond, son of Thomas Hammond.]

ALSO FOUND ON STAGGE-PARKER.BLOGSPOT.COM

Lavenham, England


Biography

Thomas HAMMOND 1430 was born between 1545 and 1552 in Of Lavenham, Suffolk, England. He died on 24 November 1589 at the age of 44 in England. He was buried on 28 November 1589 in Lavenham Parish, Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Descendants of Benjamin Hammond by Philip Battell, Esq., of Middlebury, Vermont, NEHGR, 1876, Vol 30, page 28:

The summary in Dr. Bond's invaluable record of Watertown families includes the English register, credited to Mr. S. Hammond Russell, of the birth of William and Thomas Hammond, which is copied here, as indicating a locality of the name.

THOMAS HAMMOND, of Lavenham, county, Suffolk, married, May 14, 1573, Rose Trippe. He was buried, November 26, 1589.

Children:
i. ELIZABETH, baptized April 1, 1574
ii. WILLIAM, baptized October 30, 1575;"settled in New-England"
iii. ROSE, baptized April 22, 1578.
iv. MARTHA, baptized November 6, 1579.
v. MARIE, baptized July 7, 1587?
vi. SUSAN.
vii.THOMAS, baptized January 9, 1586; of Hingham, afterwards of Newton.

Spouse: Rose TRIPPE.

Rose TRIPPE and Thomas HAMMOND were married on 14 May 1573 in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Children were: Elizabeth HAMMOND, William HAMMOND, Thomas HAMMOND.
found on ancestry.com

Will - Thomas Hammond10-2-1589, Lavenham, Suffolk County, England
WILL OF THOMAS HAMMOND, OF LAVENHAM, COUNTY SUFFOLK, ENGLAND, 2 October 1589:
IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN.The seconde daye of October 1589, I, Thomas Hamonde, of Lavenham in the Countie of Suff. Shereman, whole of mynde and of good and p'fecte rememberance make and ordayne this to be my last Will and Testamente in mann. followeinge:Firste. I bequeathe my soule unto Almightie God, my maker and Redem., my bodie to the earthe &c.

Item, I give to Rose my wief my house wherein Thomas Westlie nowe dwelleth wth all and singular th appetenncs during the term of her naturall lief. And after the deceese of my said wife I will the said house wth th appetennces to remayne unto Willm Hamond my sone his heires and assignes forever.Item, I give unto Rose my saide wief, my fielde called Great Lyverdowne wth a convenient waie to the same thurrowe my lane that lieth betwene the land of John Woode the elder and Robt Daniell and throughe my fielde called Little Liverdon for her drifte and carriage duringe the terme of her natural lief. And after the decease of my saide wief I will the said fielde and the said waye for dryvinge and carryinge to remaine unto Willm Hamonde my sonne his heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my wief, my fielde called Little Lyverdon wth the lane thereunto now leaddinge wth all and singular the appetnncs duringe the terme of her naturall lief, and after her decease I will that the saide field called Litle Liverdon and the said lane shall remayne unto Elizabeth Hamond my daughter, and to the heires of her bodye lawfully begotten, and if the saide Elizabeth shall dep'te owte of this lief before Rose my wief wth out yssue of her bodie lawfully begotten, that then I will the said lane to remayne unto Willm, my sonne, his heires and assignes forever. But if it fortune the saide Elizabeth my daughter to overlive Rose my said wief, that then I will the said feyld called Litle Liverdon and the said lane wth there appetnnce shall remayne unto the saide Elizabeth her heires and assignes forever.Item, I give unto Rose my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande, to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti years.Item, I give unto Martha Hamonde, my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeares.Item, I give unto Marie Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings o?? lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeares.Item, I give unto Susann Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings o?? lawfull monie of Englande to paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeres.Item, I give unto Margarett Jollye, my sister, a fether bedd and a?? Shippe Cheste.The residue of all my goods, corne, cattells, monie, moveables, plate, household stuff and whatsoever my debts beinge payde and this my laste Will and testamente p'formed and fullfilled, I give unto Rose my wief, whom I make and ordayne to be sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testamente.In witness I have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the day and yere afore written.[Signed][Seal] Witnesses hereunto Robt. Lynch, Willm Trippe by me John Rynge, by me Henrye Parker. Proved December 11, 1589.
found on ancestry.com

Thomas Hammond 1545-1589Thomas Hamonde (The "Hamonde" spelling taken from his will.)
Birth: About 1545, Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
Death: 24 November 1589, Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
Burial 28 November 1589 Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
Will: 2 October 1589.
Probate: 11 December 1589.
Parents of Thomas Hamonde Information:
Father: John Hamonde. Birth: About 1500, in Melford, Suffolk, England. Death: After 1550.
Mother: Agnes Garrold. Birth: 1524. Agnes died 6 Jan 1576/1577 in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. John Hamonde and Agnes Garrold were married about 1551.
Thomas Hamonde was evidently an agriculturalist and the possessor of some lands in the parish. He gave up the house left him by his father in Melford and remained in Lavenham, while his brother William appears to have gone to Melford.
Thomas Hamonde Married 1: Rose Trippe on 14 May 1573, in Babergh Hundred, Lavenham, Suffolk, England.Rose Trippe was born about 1555, in Suffolk, England. Her parentage has not been ascertained. She had a brother, William Trippe, who was a witness to Thomas Hamonde's will in 1589. Thomas died while still a young man, leaving his widow Rose and a family of small children.
Thomas' widow, Rose Trippe Hamonde married again on Apr 30, 1590, to Robert Stuard, (Stewart) of Lavenham, and continued in possession of the estate left by Thomas Hamonde until 1647 or after.
Known/Believed Children of Thomas and Rose Trippe Hamonde:
1. Elizabeth Hamonde Baptized: 1 April 1574, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
2. William Hamonde Baptized: 30 October 1575, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. He married Elizabeth Penn (or) Payne on 9 June 1605, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. He emigrated from England to Massachusetts prior to 1634. His death was on 8 October 1662, in Watertown, Massachusetts Bay Colony.
3. Rose Hamonde Baptized: 17 April 1578, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. She died young and was buried on 23 Mar 1605.
4. Martha Hamonde Baptized: 6 November 1580, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Married: 14 June 1615, Timothy Smart, of Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
5. Susanna Hamonde Baptized: 15 March 1581, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
6. Maried Hamonde Baptized: 7 July 1583, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
7. Thomas Hamonde Baptized: 9 Jananuary 1585, in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Thomas died a few days later and was buried on 16 January 1585.

WILL OF THOMAS HAMONDE, OF LAVENHAM, COUNTY SUFFOLK, ENGLAND:IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN. The seconde daye of October 1589, I, Thomas Hamonde, of Lavenham in the Countie of Suff. Shereman, whole of mynde and of good and p'fecte rememberance make and ordayne this to be my last Will and Testamentein mann. followeinge:
Firste. I bequeathe my soule unto Almightie God, my maker and Redem., my bodie to the earthe andc.
Item, I give to Rose my wief my house wherein Thomas Westlie nowe dwelleth wt h all and singular th appetenncs during the term of her naturall lief. And after the deceese of my said wief I will the said house wt h th appetennces to remayne unto Willm Hamond my sone his heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my saide wief, my fielde called Great Lyverdowne wt h a convenient waie to the same thurrowe my lane that lieth betwene the lannd of John Woode the elder and Rob Daniell and throughe my fielde called Little Liverdon for her drif te and carriage duringe the terme of her natural lief. And after the decease of my saide wief I will the said fielde and the said waye for dryvinge and carryinge to remaine unto Willm Hamonde my sonne his heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my wief, my fielde called Little Lyverdon wt h the lane thereunto now leaddinge wt h all and singular the appetnncs duringe the terme of her naturall lief, and after her decease I will that the saide field called Litle Liverdon and the said lane shall remayne unto Elizabeth Hamond my daughter, and to the heires of her bodye lawfully begotten, and if the saide Elizabeth shall dep'te owte of this lief before Rose my wief wth out yssue of her bodie lawfully begotten, that then I will the saide lane to remayne unto Willm, my sonne, his heires and assignes forever. But if it fortune the saide Elizabeth my daughter to overlive Rose my said wief, that then I will the said feyld called Litle Liverdon and the said lane wth there appetnnce shall remayne unto the saide Elizabeth her heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande, to be paide unto her at her age of xx? years.
Item, I give unto Martha Hamonde, my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xx?
yeares.

Item, I give unto Marie Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xx? yeares.
Item, I give unto Susann Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande to paide unto her at her age of xx? yeres.

Item, I give unto Margarett Jollye, my sister, a fether bedd and a Shippe Cheste.

The residue of all my goods, corne, cattells, monie, moveables, plate, household stuff and whatsoever my debts beinge payde and this my laste Will and testamente p'formed and fullfilled, I give unto Rose my wief, whom I make and ordayne to be sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testamente.
In witness I have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the day and yere afore written. (Signed) Thomas Hamond
Witnesses hereunto Robt. Lynch, Willm Trippe by me John Rynge, by me Henrye Parker. Proved 11 Dec 1589.
--------------------------------Sources: History and Genealogies of the Hammond Families in America: With an Account of the Early History of the Family in Normandy and Great Britian. 2 Volumes. Author: Frederick Stam Hammond.Publication: Oneida, New York: Ryan & Burkhart, Printers, 1902-1904.
Parish Registers of Lavenham in the County of Suffolk (England) Vol 1. Transcribed by John F. Cook, Genealogist.
found on ancestry.com

Hammond Family, Rochester HAMMOND. In what was ancient Rochester and Dartmouth, including the later subdivisions of those towns, the Hammond family has dwelt from almost the very dawn of the civilization of this section, and it was a still earlier family in an older part of Massachusetts; and for a century and a half the branch here considered has been identified with the development of Dartmouth, Fairhaven and New Bedford. Reference is made to some of the descendants of Amittai Hammond, latterly of New Bedford, where for some sixty years his son, the late Caleb Hammond, and the latter's sons, Edgar B. and Henry F. Hammond, together and in turn have been the leading architects of their city, the elder Hammond figuring largely in the planning for many of the buildings erected in that period in his city and also figuring conspicuously in the city's public affairs. His lineage and family history follow. (I) William Hammond, a native of London, County Kent, England, where he married Elizabeth Penn, sister of Sir William Penn, admiral, and aunt to William Penn, the Quaker, was probably a descendant of the Hammonds of St. Albans Court, County Kent. He died and was buried in London. Their children, all born in London, were: Benjamin, Elizabeth, Martha and Rachel. The mother, a widow, with her son Benjamin and three daughters, all young, left a good estate in London, and came over to New England in the troublesome times of 1634, from a desire to have the liberty to serve God according to the dictates of conscience. They arrived in Boston, Sept. 18, 1634, in the ship "Griffin" and had with them the Rev. John Lothrop, their minister. Mrs. Hammond lived in Boston and Watertown until 1638, when she joined Rev. John Lothrop's Church in Scituate, April 16, 1638, being the thirtythird member thereof. She probably returned to Boston near the close of the year 1639, as she died and was buried there in 1640. (II) Benjamin Hammond, son of William and Elizabeth (Penn) Hammond, born in 1621, in London, England, came to New England with his mother and family as stated above. He went to Sandwich and there in 1650 married Mary Vincent, daughter of John Vincent, who was born in England in 1633. Benjamin Hammond had been for a time in Yarmouth before his marriage, as he was there in 1643. His children by Mary were: Samuel, John, Nathan, Benjamin, Rose and Mary. The parents, with their sons Nathan and Benjamin, probably located in Rochester about 1684. They died there, Benjamin in 1703, aged eighty-two, and Mary, in 1705, aged seventy-two.(III) Samuel Hammond, son of Benjamin and Mary (Vincent) Hammond, born in 1655, went with his brother John to Rochester about 1680, and settled in the extreme southwesterly part of the town known as the "West Neck," where he lived to advanced life much respected. He was one of the founders and a prominent member of the First Congregational Church in Rochester, now located in Marion. He was an extensive landholder, and settled four of his sons around him, namely: Seth, Josiah, Barnabas and Jedediah, the last named later removing to Scituate. Samuel married about 1680, Mary Hathaway, and their children were: Benjamin, born Dec. 18, 1681; Seth, born Feb. 13, 1683; Rosamond, born May 8, 1684; Samuel, born March 8, 1685; Thomas, born Sept. 16, 1687; Jedediah, born Sept. 19, 1690; Josiah, born Sept. 15, 1692; Barnabas, born Jan. 20, 1694; Maria, bom Jan. 27, 1697; John, born Oct. 4, 1701; and Jedediah (2), born Sept. 30, 1703. from Representative men and old families of southeastern Massachusetts ..., Volume 3 By J.H. Beers and Co found on ancestry.com Biography Thomas HAMMOND1430 was born between 1545 and 1552 in Of Lavenham, Suffolk, England. He died on 24 November 1589 at the age of 44 in England. He was buried on 28 November 1589 in Lavenham Parish, Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Descendants of Benjamin Hammond by Philip Battell, Esq., of Middlebury, Vermont, NEHGR, 1876, Vol 30, page 28: The summary in Dr. Bond's invaluable record of Watertown families includes the English register, credited to mr. S. Hammond Russell, of thebirth of William and Thomas Hammond, which is copied here,as indicating a locality of the name.THOMAS HAMMOND, of Lavenham, co. Suffolk, married, May 14, 1573, Rose Trippe. He was buried, Nov. 26, 1589. Children:i. ELIZABETH, bapt April 1, 1574ii. WILLIAM, bapt. Oct. 30, 1575;"settled in New-England"iii. ROSE, bapt. April 22, 1578.iv. MARTHA, bapt. Nov. 6, 1579.v. MARIE, bapt. July 7, 1587?vi. SUSAN.vii.THOMAS, bapt. Jan. 9, 1586; of Hingham, afterwards of Newton. Spouse: Rose TRIPPE. Rose TRIPPE and Thomas HAMMOND were married on 14 May 1573 in Lavenham, Suffolk, England. Children were: Elizabeth HAMMOND, William HAMMOND, Thomas HAMMOND. found on ancestry.com Will - Thomas Hammond 10-2-1589, Lavenham, Suffolk County, England WILL OF THOMAS HAMMOND, OF LAVENHAM, COUNTY SUFFOLK, ENGLAND, 2 Oct 1589: IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN.The seconde daye of October 1589, I, Thomas Hamonde, of Lavenham in the Countie of Suff. Shereman, whole of mynde and of good and p'fecte rememberance make and ordayne this to be my last Will and Testamente in mann. followeinge:Firste. I bequeathe my soule unto Almightie God, my maker and Redem., my bodie to the earthe &c.

Item, I give to Rose my wief my house wherein Thomas Westlie nowe dwelleth wth all and singular th appetenncs during the term of her naturall lief. And after the deceese of my said wife I will the said house wth th appetennces to remayne unto Willm Hamond my sone his heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my saide wief, my fielde called Great Lyverdowne wth a convenient waie to the same thurrowe my lane that lieth betwene the land of John Woode the elder and Robt Daniell and throughe my fielde called Little Liverdon for her drifte and carriage duringe the terme of her natural lief. And after the decease of my saide wief I will the said fielde and the said waye for dryvinge and carryinge to remaine unto Willm Hamonde my sonne his heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my wief, my fielde called Little Lyverdon wth the lane thereunto now leaddinge wth all and singular the appetnncs duringe the terme of her naturall lief, and after her decease I will that the saide field called Litle Liverdon and the said lane shall remayne unto Elizabeth Hamond my daughter, and to the heires of her bodye lawfully begotten, and if the saide Elizabeth shall dep'te owte of this lief before Rose my wief wth out yssue of her bodie lawfully begotten, that then I will the said lane to remayne unto Willm, my sonne, his heires and assignes forever. But if it fortune the saide Elizabeth my daughter to overlive Rose my said wief, that then I will the said feyld called Litle Liverdon and the said lane wth there appetnnce shall remayne unto the saide Elizabeth her heires and assignes forever.

Item, I give unto Rose my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande, to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti years.

Item, I give unto Martha Hamonde, my daughter, fortie shillings of lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeares.

Item, I give unto Marie Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings o?? lawfull monie of Englande to be paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeares.

Item, I give unto Susann Hamonde my daughter, fortie shillings o?? lawfull monie of Englande to paide unto her at her age of xxjti yeres.

Item, I give unto Margarett Jollye, my sister, a fether bedd and a?? Shippe Cheste.The residue of all my goods, corne, cattells, monie, moveables, plate, household stuff and whatsoever my debts beinge payde and this my laste Will and testamente p'formed and fullfilled, I give unto Rose my wief, whom I make and ordayne to be sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testamente.In witness I have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the day and yere afore written.[Signed][Seal] Witnesses hereunto Robt. Lynch, Willm Trippe by me John Rynge, by meHenrye Parker. Proved December 11, 1589.
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment