2007, Indian River Cemetery, Clinton, Middlesex, Connecticut, USA
Birth: October 16, 1636
Death: July 22, 1709
His marker is one of a series of reproduction stones placed in a row in an area of Kelsey family stones. With two exceptions, each is marked only with a first name and date. These correspond to the names and dates of second and third generation Kelsey family members who died in Killingworth, now Clinton.
According to descendant Lucia Finley,
"John Kelsey born 16 October 1636 in Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts a son of William and Bethia Hopkins Kelsey. He married Hannah Disborough in 1668 in Killingworth, Middlesex, Connecticut. Their children included: William, John, Joseph, Esther, Phebe, Lydia, Stephen and Josiah Kelsey. John died 22 July 1709, Killingworth, Connecticut. His father William is listed as one of the Founders of Hartford Connecticut."
Parents: William Kelsey (____ - 1680)
Children: John Kelsey (1671 - 1750)*
Burial: Indian River Cemetery, Clinton, Middlesex County, Connecticut, USA
found on findagrave.com
John, Estalla, William, Dad, Mom, Cordie, Clara and Edward Kelsey
found on ancestry.com
John KelseyMay, 1669, John Kelsey is listed as one of the "freemen" of Killingworth; October 14, 1686, at the session of the General Court, he is confirmed the Ensign of the "Traine Band of Killingworth;" October 1696, he and three others petitioned the General Court to "build a sluice and cart bridge over the Hamock River in the town of Killingworth;" the petition was referred to the Court in the following May, when it was granted; October 1703, the Assembly of the Colony of Connecticut granted to Lieut. Henry Crane, William Stephens, Samuel Buel, John Kellsie and their associates the present proprietors and inhabitants of Killingworth, their heirs, et cetera, forever, a tract of land between the towns of Guilford and Saybrook, Haddam and the sea. This grant was no doubt made by the General Court to confirm the title of the lands of Killingworth to the settlers there, and to establish the bounds of the adjoining towns more definitely, there being some dispute as to the dividing lines between the towns, especially Saybrook. Probably as a result of this grant by the Court, there is recorded in the Killingworth Town Records, Vol I, p. 192, an agreement of settlement of the quarrel between the towns of Killingworth and Saybrook, the committee of the town being Mr. Edward Griswold, Samuel Buel and John Kelsey. A cash settlement was made, and among the subscribers to the fund paid to Saybrook was Daniel Kelsey, brother of John, for ten shillings. In October 1704, John [Kelsey] was raised from the rank of Ensign to that of Lieutenant of the "Trainband in the Towne of Killingworth," and in December of that year, mention is made of special measures of defense against the Indians.
John Kelsey's home lot was in the east part of the village, on the south side of the road, near the junction of the old and new roads to Saybrook. This property has remained in the Kelsey line until quite recently. He was joint owner with Henry Crane of an acre plot of land on the "Meetinghouse Hill" which was purchased by the town at a meeting held October 23, 1699, for the purpose of remaining to the common forever. The transaction will be taken care of in full in the appendix of this volume.
found on ancestry.com
odds and ends John Kelsey (1636 - 1707)John spent his childhood and youth at Hartford and was made a freeman at that place on May 20, 1658. In 1664 he was one of the original proprietors of the new town at Killingworth, Connecticut.
In October 1704, John was raised from the rank of Ensign to that of Lieutenant of the "trainband in the Towne of Killingworth," and in December of that year, mention is made of special measures of defense against the Indians
The following is taken from THE AMERICAN GENEALOGIST,
Note: Whole Number 152, Volume 38, No. 4, October 1962,
Note: "THE BROWNSON, BRONSON, OR BRUNSON FAMILY
Note: OF EARL'S COLNE, ESSEX, ENGLAND, -
Note: CONNECTICUT, AND SOUTH CAROLINA"
Note: by John Insley Coddington, F. A. S. G., of Bordentown, New Jersey, found at
John Kelsey became a Lieut. of the Killingworth Train Band, and his death was entered in the Vital Records as "Lieut. John Kelcey died 22 July 1709" and his widow's death as "Hannah Kelcey widow and relict of Lieut. John Kelcey died October 23 1718" (TAG, supra, 12:48, and the excellent Kelsey Genealogy by E. A. Claypool, Azalea Clizbie, and Earl Leland Kelsey, 1:45-7). Lieut. John Kelsey died intestate; inventory on his estate was taken 17 August 1709: the original papers are in file #2941, New London District, State Library, Hartford, and are abstracted in TAG, supra, 12:151-2. The will of "Hannah Kelcey, wedow and relick of John Kelcey dec. at Killingworth," dated 15 August 1712, is printed in full in the Kelsey Genealogy, 1:51.
These two probate records show clearly that Hannah was John Kelsey's only wife, and the mother of all his children. These children were: Hannah, William, John, Joseph, Esther, Phebe, Lydia, Stephen, and Josiah. It is necessary to stress that John Kelsey married Hannah Desborough and not her sister Phebe, because the learned Dr. James Savage made a lamentable error in his Gen. Dict. of New England, 2:52 and 3:7, in assigning Phebe to John Kelsey. This was because Savage never used original records outside the Boston area, but relied on correspondents who were sometimes undependable. The story that John Kelsey m. Phebe Desborough, having been printed by Savage, has, alas, been repeated endlessly by the type of people who write to the genealogical columns of newspapers, despite the fact that the original records and the fine Kelsey Genealogy show clearly that it was Hannah and not Phebe who was John Kelsey's wife. The contributor is very grateful to Prof. George E. McCracken for his help with the Kelsey problem.
Name: Brownson gen: www.nwlink.com/~pbronson/bronson.htm
Name: Barbour Collection, Killingworth VR
John moved to Killingworth with his father William in 1664, and was one of the original proprietors. He spent his childhood and youth at Hartford and was made a freeman there on 20 May 1658. In October 1704, John was raised from the rank of Ensign to that of Lieutenant of the "Trainband in the Towne of Killingworth," and in December of that year, mention is made of special measures of defense against the Indians. John and Hannah were probably buried in the old cemetery beside the Indian River in Killingworth.
Reita Maxine Van Hyning - email@example.com; Kelsey Genealogies, Volume I
found on ancestry.com