Saturday, July 23, 2011

JOSEPH BURT 1673-1759

[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Sarah Sawyer Hastings (Snow), daughter of Salome Burt (Hastings), daughter of Enos Burt, son of Asahel Burt, son of Joseph Burt.]



JOSEPH Burt's will.
JOSEPH hurt's will.The will of Joseph Burt, given below, is on file at the Probate
OSice in Northampton :
IN the name of God Amen, The first day of January, Anno Dom. 1754.
I, Joseph Burt, of Northfield, in the County of Hampshire, & Provience
of the Massachusetts Bay, &c. Freeholder, Being far advanced in years
THE BURT FAMILY. 287but yet of perfect mind & memory, thanks be given to God ; But calling
to mind the mortality of my body, and knowing that it is appointed for
all men once to die. Do make and ordain this my last will and testament.
That is to say, principally and first of all, I give & recommend my Soulinto the hands of God that gave it, & my body I recommend to the earth,
to be Buried in a decent Christian burial, at the discretion of my executors,
nothing doubting but at the general Resurrection I shall receive the same
again by the mighty power of God. And as touching such wordly estate
wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life, I give. Demise, &
Dispose of the same, in the following manner & form, viz:
Imps. I give and bequeath to my loving wife & to my son John, the use
and improvement of all my estate During their natural lifes.
Item. I give & bequeath to my daughter Sarah Elgar, Six pounds, tobe paid by my executor in three months after my decease.
Item. I give to my daughter Miriam Allen, Twenty shillings, to be
paid in three months after my deceased as afforesaid.
Item. I give to my daughter, Mary Wire, Twenty shillings, to be paidat the time & manner aforesaid.
Item. I give & bequeath to my Grandsons Simeon & Benjamin Knight
& to my grand daughter Hannah Wright, five shillings each, & to mygrand daughter Esther Cole, a Bible, at the time & manner abovesaid.
Item. I Give to my son Aaron all my housen, buildings & lands, (ex cepting
a lot of land in upper Island meadow, or Ashuelot Daught, so
called) together with all my moveable estate, to be his, & his heirs afterthe deceased of my wife & my son John.
Item. I give to my Grandson Joseph Burt, five shillings at my decease,
& to my Grandsons Benj. & Enos Burt, eight pounds each, to be paid by
my executor when they arrive to the age of twenty-one years, & to my
grandson Reuben Burt, a lot of land in Island meadows, adjoining to a lot
of land that was in the possession of my son Asahel, in his life time, and
also a weaven loom, to be his when he arrives to the age of twenty-one
years.
Item. I will & order that if either of my Grandsons, the sons ofAsahel Burt, die before they come to the age of twenty-one years, then
the other surviving breatheren shall have & divide the deceased part orportio n of the estate amongst themselves in equal, proportions.
Item. I constitute and appoint my son Aaron Burt, my executor of this
my last will and testament, and I do hereby utterly disallow, revoke and
annul! all and every other former Wills, Testaments, Legacies and Bequeaths,& Executors, by me in any ways before Named, Willed and Bequeathed,
Ratifying and confirming this & no other to be my last will &
testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & Seal the day and
year above written.
Joseph Burt, Seal.
Signed, Sealed, Published, prinounced and declaired by the said Joseph
Burt as his last will & testament before us the subscribers.Nehemiah Wright,
Seth Field,
Eliphaz Wright.
AT a court of probate holden at Northampton, within & for the county
of Hampshire, on the second Tuesday of February, being the 8th day of
said month. An. Dom. 1757, I Timothy Dwight, Esq., Judge of Probate
Court : Thef oregoing will was presented for probate by the executor thereinnamed, & Seth Field, Esq., & Eliphas Wright, two of the witnesses to
the same, personally appearing, made oath that they saw Joseph Burt, the
testator, sign & seal & heard him pronounced & declared the same to be
his last will & testament, & that he was of sound mind & memory whenhe did it, & that they with Nehemiah Wright, all signed as witnesses to the same in presence of the Testator, & of each other, wherefore it is
ratified, approved, & confirmed, as the last Will & Testament of Sd.
deceased.
Timothy Dwight.
Feby. 8th, 1757, Sworn to by Seth Field, Esq., & Ehphaz Wright in Cornform,
& they saw the other sign.
found on ancestry.com

An Excerpt from "The Life and Times of Henry Burt and Descendants, 1893"
"Joseph...[married] Sarah, daughter of John Cowles of Hatfield, to which town Mr. Burt moved and lived until 1719, when he removed to Northfield, where he had purchased a large estate. He took a prominent part in town affairs and in the defence of the town against the frequent attacks by the French and Indians, his son Asahel was killed, in his 32nd year by the Indians in an attack at Pochaug Hill, on April 15, 1747. Many of Joseph's descendants remained at Northfield, and others settled in New Hampshire and Vermont. In the French and Indian Wars and in the Revolutionary War many of them took an active part in the field."
found on ancestry.com

notes
Joseph, the ninth child of David Burt of Northampton, and the third son to rear a family, spent the greater part of his life at Northfield. He was born September 16, 1673 and m. Sarah Cowles, daughter of John Cowles of Hatfield April 16, 1702. He d. at Northfield June 19, 1759, and his wife May 21, 1772, aged 91 years. Joseph was a cordwainer by trade and after his marriage lived in Hatfield until 1717, when he became one of the first settlers of Northfield. He led a busy life, filling many town offices, engaging in Indian warfare, and going with his company on the Crown Point Expedition. He accumulated a large property for his times and continued up to his death a prominent and useful citizen.
heathergdavisadded this on 17 Sep 2008
taken directly from Early Days in New England By Henry Martyn Burt, Silas Wright Burt. The book can be viewed and downloaded at http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=WHNMAAAAMAAJ&;dq=Early+Days+in+New+England+++Henry+Martyn+Burt,+Silas+Wright+Burt&prin
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment