Saturday, July 30, 2011

EULALIA MARCHE (BURT) 1598-1690

[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Sarah Sawyer Hastings (Snow), daughter of Salome Burt (Hastings), daughter of Enos Burt, son of Asahel Burt, son of Joseph Burt, son of David Burt, son of Eulalia Marche (Burt).]

ALSO FOUND ON STAGGE-PARKER.BLOGSPOT.COM



Will of Eulalia Burt
27 May 1684, Springfiled, Massachusetts

"I Ulaliah Burt, of Springfield, being weake in body, but sound in mind, memory and understanding, do make this, my Last Wil and Testament, this 27th of May Anno Dom 1684 . I comend my soul to God who made it, and to Jesus Christ , who redeemed I with his most precious blood. And my body I commit to the earth hoping for that blessed ressurection when it shall be reunited to be forever with the Lord. An d for my worldly estate thus I dispose it: To my daughter Sarah I give two milch cows, or kinde. To my daughter Abiaile I give my cloake, a green Apron and coate and a shift. To my Daughter Mary I give an hefer. To my Daughter Elisabeth I give two milch cows or kine. To my daughter Patience I give my Flocke bed at the Medow, a Pillow-beer, one pair of sheets and a Coverlet, my red stockins, one shift, one white neck cloth, on dressing, my hat, one Coif and one coate, and the one halfe of my Clothe that is sent to the Weavers, after two yeards are taken of for Abilene Bage. To my daughter Mercy I give the halfe of that Cloth that is sent to the weavers, and the Serdge her husband sent me for a wastecoate, one pair of sheetes, one pillow -beer, ond shift, one coate. And to my son Jonathan I do give the whole lot my husband bought of George Sancton and my best brasse kettle to bestow upon his son Henry. If he s e good that he enjoy the same, after his decease.Also I giv e my son Jonathan the Pillow and Pillow-beer at his house . To my son David I doe give my oldest yoke of cattle and m y old brasse pan. To my son Nathaneel I give my great brass e kettle and the four acres in the forral Lotte to bestow i f he se good upon his eldest son after his decease. And my Scarfe and my Cambricke Necke clothe I give to my son Nathaneel, his daughter Rebeca; Also the Yarn and Wool and Tow to make a coverlet I give to sd Rebeca and the Pillow at the Medow. And the rest of my fmal estate not heer named I doe order to be given as there is most need, or my Executors hereafter named see cause. And I do constitute and appoint my son Jonathan and my son Nathaneel to be my True and Lawful Executors to this my Last Wil and Testament as Witnes my hand and seale the day and yeer above written.Ulaliah Burt X (her mark)With her seale affixt.
found on ancestry.com

Back from the Dead
According to tradition (The Life and Times of Henry Burt and Descendants), while still in England, Eulalia supposedly died, was put in a coffin for burial, and when signs of life were seen she was resuscitated and recovered to live to a great age.
found on ancestry.com

Eulalia Marche Burt raised from her coffin....
"There is an interesting story told about Eulalia Marche Burt; that in England she apparently died, was put in her coffin for interment when signs of life were seen and she was resuscitated and recovered, came to New England and live to a great age..." She died in 1684---twenty-two years after Henry’s death.
found on ancestry.com

Eulalia Marche and Henry Burt - notes
While still in England, EULALIA MARCHE was thought to have died, was put in a coffin for burial, and when signs of life were seen she was resuscitated and recovered to live to a great age. After this event she had 19 children. She and HENRY BURT immigrated to America and their house burned in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1638. It would be wonderful to have the full details of this event, which are now probably lost to history.

They had moved to Agawain (now Springfield), Massachusetts, by 1640 when the town gave permission for HENRY and two others to "seeke out for ye use each of them a Connoe Tree." People of today are used to doing what the law does not forbid, people in the 17th century did what the law would allow.

HENRY was on the first committee elected in September 1644 to govern the town and served for ten years. From 1649 to 1662 he was Clerk of the Writs and issued summonses in civil suits, granted writs of attachment, and kept records of births, deaths, and marriages. He was a Deacon and one of four men who conducted Sabbath services in 1656 and 1657 in the absence of the minister.Hard money was scarce in those days, and he frequently hauled goods to Hartford to pay his bill at John Pynchon's store.

Sources:Pioneers of Massachusetts by Charles Henry PopeStephen ChinnThe First Century of the History of Springfield by Henry M. BurtSpringfield 1636-1886, History of Town and City by Mason A. Green, 1888
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Little is known of EULALIA MARCHE's life before her marriage, as is true of most women in historic times. The documented events found so far are these, but are only reflections of her as a wife and mother. But to have all 9 of her known children still living when she made out her will suggests she was a woman capable of great care and discipline in rearing her brood, on top of the sheer luck she and HENRY enjoyed as parents in such times:

1. Mention in Will, Inv. or Prob.; 21 May 1616; Sherford, Devon, England. Legacy of 50s. in her mother's will.

2. Will; 27 May 1684; Springfield, Hampden County Massachusetts . "I Ulaliah Burt, of Springfield, being weake in body, but sound in mind, memory and understanding, do make this, my Last Wil and Testament, this 27th of May Anno Dom 1684. I comend my soul to God who made it, and to Jesus Christ, who redeemed I with his most precious blood. And my body I commit to the earth hoping for that blessed ressurection when it shall be reunited to be forever with the Lord. And for my worldly estate thus I dispose it:
To my daughter Sarah I give two milch cows, or kinde.
To my daughter Abiaile I give my cloake, a green Apron and coate and a shift.
To my Daughter Mary I give an hefer.
To my Daughter Elisabeth I give two milch cows or kine.
To my daughter Patience I give my Flocke bed at the Medow, a Pillow-beer, one pair of sheets and a Coverlet, my red stockins, one shift, one white neck cloth, on dressing, my hat, one Coif and one coate, and the one halfe of my Clothe that is sent to the Weavers, after two yeards are taken of for Abilene Bage.
To my daughter Mercy I give the halfe of that Cloth that is sent to the weavers, and the Serdge her husband sent me for a wastecoate, one pair of sheetes, one pillow-beer, ond shift, one coate.
And to my son Jonathan I do give the whole lot my husband bought of George Sancton and my best brasse kettle to bestow upon his son Henry. If he se good that he enjoy the same, after his decease. Also I give my son Jonathan the Pillow and Pillow-beer at his house.
To my son David I doe give my oldest yoke of cattle and my old brasse pan.
To my son Nathaneel I give my great brasse kettle and the four acres in the forral Lotte to bestow if he se good upon his eldest son after his decease. And my Scarfe and my Cambricke Necke clothe I give to my son Nathaneel, his daughter Rebeca; Also the Yarn and Wool and Tow to make a coverlet I give to sd Rebeca and the Pillow at the Medow.
And the rest of my fmal estate not heer named I doe order to be given as there is most need, or my Executors hereafter named see cause. And I do constitute and appoint my son Jonathan and my son Nathaneel to be my True and Lawful Executors to this my Last Wil and Testament as Witnes my hand and seale the day and yeer above written.
Ulaliah Burt X (her mark)With her seale affixt.Signed and sealed in the presence of Benjamin Parsons, Sr. and John Holyoke.At the courte Sept.30 1690. Sworn in Courte by Mr. Jno. Holyoke that he saw the Testator signe and seale the Instument as the Wil and Last Testament of said Ulaliah Burt deceased and that she was of sound mind and perfect remembrance, to the best of his remembrance, the estate to be disposed according to said will.
Attest Saml. Partrigg, Clerke.Dec 30 1690.This last will and Testament of Widow Ulaliah Burt, Late deceased, is here entred from the Original on file. Attest, Jno. Holyoke, clerk.
3. VR - Death; 19 August 1690; Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Burt, Ulaliah (Eulalia), wid.
Documented events in their marriage were:
1. VR - Marriage; 28 December 1619; Dean Prior, Devon, England.
2. CR - Baptism of Child; 23 January 1624/25; Harberton, Devon, England. Jonathan, son of Henry Burt and [blank] his wife
3. CR - Baptism of Child; 18 October 1629; Harberton, Devon, England. David, son of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife
4. CR - Baptism of Child; 13 April 1635; Harberton, Devon, England. Mary, daughter of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife
5. CR - Baptism of Child; 23 March 1637/38; Harberton, Devon, England. Nathaniel, son of Henry Burt and Eulaliah his wife
6. CR - Baptism of Child; 4 December 1638; Harberton, Devon, England . Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Burt and Ulaiah, his wife
7. CR - Baptism of Child; 14 January 1620/21; Harberton, Devon, England. Sarah, daughter of Henry and Eulalia Burt.
8. VR - Birth of Child; 28 April 1641; Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts . Birth of Hannah, daughter of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife
9. VR - Birth of Child; 1643; Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Birth of daughter [name defaced on record] of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife
10. VR - Birth of Child; 18 August 1645; Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Birth of Patience, daughter of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife
11. VR - Birth of Child; 27 September 1647; Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Mercy, daughter of Henry Burt and Ulalia, his wife

Source: Genealogical Research in England, Burt - March, by George Skelton Terry. New England Historical Register, Vol. 86, Jan. 1932, p. 77-84: April 1932, p. 216-220: July 1932, p. 247-252.
Longmeadow (Mass.) Families, Willard S. Allen, New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol. 31, July 1877, p. 318 & subsequent. 32:302.
John Pynchon, Pynchon Birth Marriage & Death Records, "Families of the Pioneer Valley", Regional Publications, West Springfield, MA, 2000. Springfield, p. 72.
found on ancestry.com

Eulalia's funeral
about 1620, Devon, England
I have read a story about Eulaliia that's difficult to believe. I had copied it but have misplaced the copy. The story was about Eulalia when she was about 15 years old. She had been very sick and not expected to live. She went into a coma and it reached a catatonic stage so they had her funeral. The story claims that during the service she sat up in her casket. She lived to be 90 years old and you only have to look at the family tree to see how she helped populate the Massachusetts Colony..

I can't vouch for the truth of this story, but would like to hear from others who have experienced it.
found on ancestry.com

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I don't believe a portrait of Eulalia Marche-Burt exists.
    The gentleman who posted it to his blog is in error.
    http://miller-aanderson.blogspot.com/2011/07/eulalia-marche-1598-1690.html
    The image you are referring to can be seen at: http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/436846
    and is thought to possibly be Madame Claude Lambert de Thorigny.
    Please delete this image to prevent further false postings.
    Thank you,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete