Tuesday, July 5, 2011


[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Gardner Snow, son of James Snow, son of Mary Trowbridge (Snow), daughter of James Trowbridge, son of William Trowbridge.]

Old East Parish Burying Ground, Newton, Massachusetts

William Trowbridge died 1744, Newton, Massachusetts
Burial: East Parish Burying Ground, Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA
Plot: Plot 554
found on findagrave.com

Bio from F. B. Trowbridge bookNewton, Massachusetts

"His will dated July 2, 1734 was proved March 18, 1744 (Middlesex County Probate Records, Vol. 22, p. 323)" "William Trowbridge after his marriage went to housekeeping in the end of his father-in-law's house. he engaged in business as a weaver, following this trade for several years. His father-in-law made a gift to him by deed of the west end of his house, 13 acres of land adjoining, and a quarter interest in his gristmill and stream (Smelt brook). He later inherited his father-in-law's homestead of about 40 acres and the mill pasture of about equal area. He also owned 20 acres of woodland and a cider mill and four negro slaves. He was prominent in town affairs and served on various committees. He was chosen one of the first board of overseer of the poor in 1734; was elected a selectman for our terms, from 1736 to 1739; and was lieutenant and later Captain of the town's military company for several years. He was a deacon of the Congregational church in Newton and was one of the donors of its communion service. He was called "gentleman" and "Captain" at the time of his death."
FROM: F. B. Trowbridge. "History of the Trowbridge Family in America", (New Haven, Connecticut: Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor Co. 1908), p. 507 In a footnote, F. B. Trowbridge discusses the gristmill and stream that Wm. inherited: "John Ward had this from his father-in-law, John Spring, who built the first gristmill in Newton on Smelt brook, near the center of the town." p. 507.
NORSEPOLE added this on 22 June 2010
Captain William Trowbridge 1684-1744
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment