Tuesday, July 12, 2011

NATHANIEL CONANT 1650-1732

[Ancestral Link: Marguerite Anderson (Miller), daughter of Hannah Anderson (Anderson), daughter of Mary Margaret Edmiston (Anderson), daughter of Martha Jane Snow (Edmiston), daughter of Gardner Snow, son of Abigail Farr (Snow), daughter of Mercy Winslow (Farr), daughter of Rebecca Ewer (Winslow), daughter of Rebecca Conant (Ewer), daughter of Nathaniel Conant.]


Old Graveyard, Bridgewater, Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Summer Street at Plymouth Street (Route 104)



Birth: unknown Death: 1732 Sources: History of Bridgewater by Nahum Mitchell (pub. 1840, 1897, 1970, 1975) and Epitaphs in Old Bridgewater Massachusetts by Williams Latham (pub. 1882). Burial: Old Graveyard Bridgewater Plymouth County Massachusetts, USA Plot: Section B, grave 219 Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?] Created by: Nan Record added: Nov 05, 2007 Find A Grave Memorial# 22674114







First Church of Salem










NATHANIEL CONANT
Nathaniel Conant, born 28 Jul 1650, in Beverly; married Hannah, dr. of Andrew and bithiah Mansfield and g. dr. of Robert and Elizabeth Mansfield. By the will of his father he was lef 50 pounds and the shop in which he worked, together with the tools in it. He was a cordwainer or shoemaker. He appears to have moved to Bridgewater, Plymouth county, as early as 1687, for on 18 Apr 1688, Philip White, of Beverly, sold to Sir William Phipps, of boston, "all his messuage or tenement, yards, orchard, upland and swampy ground thereto belonging, containing six acres, in Beverly, which I lately purchased of Nathaniel Conant, cordwainer, of Benj. Balch, together with shops, houses," etc. (Essex Deeds, Vol. 8 p. 177.) The first mention of him in Bridgewater records is on the 2nd Monday of May, 1688, when "Goodman" Conant was to see to the repairs of the road leading from South brook to Comfort Willis', (Mitchell's Hist. of bridgewater, p. 66.)In 1691-1692 (7 Jan.), Nathaniel Conant, of Bridgewater, sells his brother, John Conant, of Beverly, "ten acres of land in west Beverly lying towards Wenham near the great marsh, bounded west and south on William Dodges lying by Brimble hill, easterly on land of Jo. Woodbury, northerly on land of my two brothers, John and Roger Conant, and two and one half acres near Wenham bounded by the Woodberrys east, Freeborn Balch on the west, north by Samuel Balch and south by John Conant." Witnessed by Benjamin Balch and Samuel Conant. (Essex Deeds, Vol 21, p. 226.)March 14, 1698, he was one of the Jury of Trials. Dec. t, 1694, and March 8, 1698, he was one of the Grand Jury.In 1703 a way was laid out beginning at Jonathan Washburn's, running "by the west end of old Goodman Conant's house."On March 7, 1708, he wells William Orcuitt 25 acres of land for 14 pounds. (Plymouth Deeds, 2nd series, Vol. 15, p. 56.)In 1711 (26 March) in consideration of his parental affection, etc., he conveys fifty-three acres of land in Bridgewater to his son, Nathaniel. (Plymouth Deeds, Vol. 11, p. 12, 2nd series.)In 1712 (3 July) he conveys 50 acres to his youngest son, Lot; this was the homestead and was situated in what was afterwards the South Parish.In 1715 he was one of te petitioners for a second parish; this was incorporated 1716, and was called the South Parish.On May 20, 1720, he sold Francis Woods 3/4 acre of land for 20 pounds.He died 1732 and left a will.
found on ancestry.com

WILL OF NATHANIEL CONANT
In the name of God Amen. July the third 1712 I Nathaniel Conant Senior of the Town of bridgewater in ye County of Plymouth in New England, yeoman. Being of Sound Judgement and Disposing mind and memory Praised be God therefore yet calling to mind my mortality and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and Testament: That is to say Principally and first of all I do Recommend my Soul unto the hands of God yt gave it. My Body I recommend unto ye Earth to be buried in decent Christian Burial att ye Discretion of my Executors. Nothing doubting that at ye General Resurection I shall Receive ye some by ye mighty power of God and as for such worldly goods and Estate wherewith it both pleased God to bless me in this life. I give and Bequeath unto Hannah my dearly beloved wife one third part of my home living both housing and land, goods for her use and Comfort during her widowhood. Then I have already given to my eldest son Nathaniel Conant that tract of land wherein he now dwelleth by a conveyance undeer my hand and seal which I do hereby confirm to him and his heirs forever and my will is that he therwithall rest contented.Then to my son Joiah Conant I give about 20 pounds which he hath already recieved partly toward the purchasing of his land where he first settled and partly in help towards Building and fencing and my will is that he therewithal rest contented.Then to my youngest son Lot Conant I have given by deed my homestead to be to him fully and freely possessed and enjoyed after my decease and my wifes decease and my will is that he shall enjoy two thirds thereof during my wifes life after me wherewith he is to rest contented.Then as for my 3 eldest daughters Bethiah, Hannah, and Martha, who have been disposed of in marriage I done for each of them respectively according to my ability about to the value of 12 pounds each and my will is that both they and their heirs do rest themselves contented therewith.Then to my two youngest daughters Lydia and Rebecah I give all my moveable estate which shall remain after my wifes decease to be equally divided betwixt them.Finally I nominate and appoint Hannah my well beloved wife Executrix and my eldest son Nathaniel Executor of this my last will and testament. Hereby renouncing. Revoking and Disallowing all other wills, testaments, Legacies, bequests or executers by me heretofore made, devised or named. Ratifying and establishing this and none other my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.NATHANIEL CONANTSigned, sealed, pronounced, and declared by teh said Nathaniel Conant as his last will and testament, In presence of us:Joseph HaywardNathaniel BrettSeth BrettThis will was proved 24 Aug., 1735. The estate amounted to 711 pounds 10s 0d.
JanelleL62added this on 18 Mar 2007
A History and Genealogy of the Conant Family in England and America; Conant, Frederick Odell, M.A.; Privately Pringed, Portland, Maind, 1887; p.144-145.
found on ancestry.com

Nathaniel Conant
1650-1732 , Beverly & Plymouth Mass.
Born in Beverly; married Hanah daughter of Andrew and Bithiah Mansfield, and grand daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Mansfield. By the will of his father he was left 50lbs and the shop in which he worked, together with the tools in it. He was a cordwainer or shoemaker. He appears to have moved to Bridgewater, Plymouth county, as early as 1687, for on 18 Apr 1688, Philip White, of Beverly, sold to Sir William Phipps, of Boston, "all his messuage or tenement, yards, orchard, upland and swampy ground thereto belonging, containing six acres, in Beverly, which I lately purchased of Nathaniel Conant, cordwainer, bounded by the highway called Woodbury's Lane and by land of Benj. Balch, together with shops, house," etc. (Essex Deeds)
The first mention of him in Bridgewater records is on the 3rd Monday of May 1688, when "Goodman" Conant was to see to the repairs of the road leading from South brook to Comfort Willis'. (Mitchels History of Bridgewater)
In 1691-2 (7 Jan), Nathaniel Conant, of Bridgewater, sells his brother John Conant, of Beverly, "ten acres of land in Beverly lying towards Wenham near the great marsh, bounded west and south on "William Dodges lying by Brimble hill, easterly on land of Jo. Woodbury, northerly on land of my two brothers John and Roger Conant, and two and one half acres near Wenham bounded by the Woodberrys east, Freeborn Balch on the west, north by Samuel Balch and south by John Conant." Witnessed by Benjamin Balch and Samuel Conant. (Essex Deeds)
14 Mar 1693, he was one of the Jury of Trials. 6 Dec 1694 and 8 Mar 1698, he was one of the Grand Jury.
In 1703 a way was laid out beginning at Jonathan Washburn's, running "by the west end of old Goodman Conants' house."
On 7 Mar 1708, he sells William Orcutt 25 acres of land for 14lbs."
In 1711 (20 Mar), in consideration of his parental affection, etc, he conveys fifty-three acres of land in Bridgewater to his son Nathaniel. (Plymouth Deeds)
In 1712 (3 Jul) he conveys 50 acres to his youngest son, Lot; this was the homestead and was situated in what was afterwards the South Parrish.
In 1715 he was one of the pettioners for a second parrish; this was incorporated 1716, and was called the South Parrish.
On 20 May 1720, he sold Francis Woods 3/4 acre of land. (Plymouth Deeds)
On 5 Dec 1729, he sold James Allen 11 3/4 acres fo land for 20lbs.
He died in 1732.
found on ancestry.com

Children of Nathaniel Conant 1650 - 1732
, Massachusetts Colony
Nath aniel Conant (from Beverly) with his w. Hannah settled in S. B. before 1690. He was a descendant of Roger Conant who came to NewEngland colonies in 1623 and lived at Plymouth, Nantasket, Cape Ann. He moved to Salem, Massachusetts where be built the first house about 1626 and died at Beverly 1679 in his 89th year.
Nathaniel's will written 1712; proved I732.He had Nathaniel, Josiah, Lot, William, Bethiah, Hannah, Martha, Lydia, and Rebecca. The births of Lot 1690, Lydia 1692, and Rebecca 1694, are on Bridgewater Records.Bethiah married Nathaniel Allen 1696.Hannah married Nathanial Hill 1710.Lydia m. Andrew Lovell 1712.Rebecca m. Shubael Ewers of Barnstable 1714.
Roger (the first born child in Salem), Exercise, Lot, John, and Joshua, were stepsons of the pilgrim, Roger. Nathaniel was probably son of Lot.
found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment